Monday, March 15, 2010

Glendale Gardens






The sun peeked out from behind the clouds from time to time this morning, which encouraged me to pay my first visit to Glendale Gardens. I don't know much about the place, but it seems the antithesis of world renowned Butchart Gardens. Glendale, it seems, is mostly run by volunteers, while Butchart Gardens is a family business. You can find out all about it by visiting their website.
Victorians love their gardens. Even the meanest, shabbiest walkups in the most drug infested parts of the city will have some horticultural distinction. It may be a neglected but extravagantly thriving rhododendron by the gate, or a begonia bush, or a cherry tree in the back. I'm glad of this even though I barely know the difference between a marigold and a petunia.
I had a very pleasant walkaround, and will make sure to revisit it as the seasons revolve. Maybe I will finally learn what a primrose path is.
The entrance fee at Glendale Gardens is $1o for adults, $7.50 for seniors.

No comments:

Post a Comment